Update Documentation

Issues related to VMProtect
Code02

Update Documentation

Post by Code02 »

Hello,

The new features under Options -> Virtual Machines (version, instances, complexity) are not covered in documentation at all.
Also, the Complexity option in Protected Functions is not documented.

For example, the complexity "Default" value to which % corresponds?
The "Default" value for Virtual Machine instances, to how many VMs correspond from 1-10?
What are the advantages of using different settings, in terms of anticracking protection,
and the disadvantages (such as file size bloated, slower code speed etc.)

Kindly update the documentation with a detailed explanation on those.
For us customers who protect our valuable commercial software, knowing how these settings operate is critical.
We need to know how to apply the best settings in order to avoid cracks, which will lead to great damage to us.
Most of us customers really need to know how to make best use of the software we purchased and spent money on.

Personally I got my software cracked before (it was protected with VMProtect v3.4) so I would really need to know all the details to make crackers life as hard and time consuming as possible.

Best regards
abcdefghijklnmopqrst

Re: Update Documentation

Post by abcdefghijklnmopqrst »

Version 3.8.1 documentation
Version - this options allows to specify the version of virtual machine (the default value is the current version). Selecting "VMProtect 2.X" will use the old version of the virtual machine, which has a smaller bytecode size.
Instances - this options allows to specify the number of the virtual machine copies (the default value is 10). Each virtual machine have unique set of properties (different registers positions, different bytecode direction, different handlers of commands, etc.) that makes harder the analysis and hacking of virtualized code.
Complexity - this options allows to specify the probability of creating complex handlers (consisting of several simple handlers) inside the virtual machine. This option also greatly complicates the analysis and hacking of virtualized code. As the complexity increases, the size of the protected file also increases.