Memory Protection enabled kills most of my programs

Issues related to VMProtect
softtouch

Memory Protection enabled kills most of my programs

Post by softtouch »

I used until now 2.13 of vmprotect, and had no real issue.
Now using 3.04, and when turning memory protection on, most of my bigger programs just silently exit or exit with a 216 runtime error. The same program with 2.13 work fine.
Also I noticed that starting a small program (empty delphi project) takes very long. FFor example, an empty project takes 7 seconds to start when memory protection is enabled.
I am using Delphi 10 Seattle, Windows 10 Professional 64 bit. It happen with 32 or 64 bit executables, when they are a little bigger (in the 10+mb range). Smaller executables run, but it takes a long time before they start. This does not happen with the 2.13 at all, all programs start relatively fast.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Memory Protection enabled kills most of my programs

Post by Admin »

Could you send us a test example that shows your problem ("most of my bigger programs just silently exit or exit with a 216 runtime error.")?
softtouch

Post by softtouch »

I cant send you any of my bigger programs, because a) they are commercial products and b) they are way above a million lines of code, but I will try to create something small, using just standard components, so you can compile it. Give me a couple of days for that.
How do I provide you with such example? Attaching here to a post?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We need original EXE+MAP+VMP files. Please send these files to info@vmpsoft.com.
softtouch

Post by softtouch »

Ok, thanks, just emailed the requested files.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Your application uses the Cromis.Detours module (I'm not sure that it's a good idea :)) that modifies code in the segment ".text". The memory protection disallows to modify memory pages attributes (VirtualProtect, etc.) for controlled segments, so your application shows a runtime error. In your case I can recommend refuse to use the Cromis.Detours module or exclude the segment ".text" from the memory protection: