protecting needed areas using .map file and ALL strings

Issues related to VMProtect
cdmn

protecting needed areas using .map file and ALL strings

Post by cdmn »

Hi! Im trying to add protection to all string in my app using map file, but I can't get if I can do it and if yes, then how? Due to performance issues I cann not just protect some logical functions with wmp, but I really need to add string protection everywhere as almost each string within the app is sensitive.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: protecting needed areas using .map file and ALL strings

Post by Admin »

For string protection you have to use VMProtectDecryptStringA/W in your application. There is no other way to do it.
Mecanik

Re: protecting needed areas using .map file and ALL strings

Post by Mecanik »

If you use a ".map" file, the VMProtect software will be able to read it and will list all your functions inside the application. This way you can just select which function you want to protect/exclude and what method.

This has nothing to do with strings, but you can of course select each string from there as well.

The normal way of protecting strings is by using VMProtectDecryptStringA/W inside your application for every string(s). Examples:

Unprotected (ANSI):

Code: Select all

printf("Hello console");
Protected (ANSI):

printf(VMProtectDecryptStringA("Hello console"));
Unprotected (UNICODE):

wprintf(L"Hello console");
Protected (UNICODE):

wprintf(VMProtectDecryptStringW(L"Hello console"));
TIP: Create your "own" function to use VMProtectDecryptStringA/W within. This will make life harder for reverse engineers and automated scripts to decrypt it.