About VMProtect

Issues related to VMProtect
fatalerror

About VMProtect

Post by fatalerror »

I just have a few questions about the ultimate edition as i need a registration scheme also.
Can i run the program on multiple computers? This is important as i need it to run on 3 different computers.
How can i receive updates if my email address does not accept attachments larger then 10mb do I need to register a new email?.
Also are there any compatibility problems with protecting dll plugins?
Also is it sufficient to vm code in the application or should i check registration status inside the plugin also?
Also is the registration module interlinked with the VM code? Will the application work if it is unpacked?

I hope I'm not asking too many questions but i can't decide between WinLicense and VMProtect. I like the fact that i can generate keys through my site.
Support

Re: About VMProtect

Post by Support »

fatalerror wrote:I just have a few questions about the ultimate edition as i need a registration scheme also.
Can i run the program on multiple computers? This is important as i need it to run on 3 different computers.
How can i receive updates if my email address does not accept attachments larger then 10mb do I need to register a new email?.
Also are there any compatibility problems with protecting dll plugins?
Also is it sufficient to vm code in the application or should i check registration status inside the plugin also?
Also is the registration module interlinked with the VM code? Will the application work if it is unpacked?

I hope I'm not asking too many questions but i can't decide between WinLicense and VMProtect. I like the fact that i can generate keys through my site.
You can run VMProtect on several computers, just make sure that your license is still private.
Since last month we're sending links to our site instead of files, so you shouldn't have any problems with receiving update.
There are no problems with protecting plugins.
Concerning checking the registration status, it depends on the architecture of your application.
Registration module is embedded to the protected file and virtualized. It is hard to unpack and dump protected application, but even in that case licensing code will still be virtualized, so you shouldn't worry about that.

Feel free to ask more questions :)
fatalerror

Post by fatalerror »

Thank you for such a quick reply I would like to lock the application to a specific computer does VMProtect allow the customer to make small hardware changes and the product will continue to work?
Support

Post by Support »

Sure, VMProtect supports hardware identifiers and allows to change some hardware.
Please refer to User Manual for mode details of the implementation.
fatalerror

Post by fatalerror »

Hello in the help it says "The licensing system allows to get hardware identification number based on CPU, Ethernet cards and OS information." If the user re installs windows or upgrades their OS from XP to VISTA does the key change? I want to limit the customer to 2 activations and no more so two different computers and that's all. For example if a customers hard disk dies and they install a new one with a different OS do they need to be issued with a new key?

One last thing when a license key is limited to Maximal date of product build. Does this build date get added by VMProtect when the file is packed so its on program authors current computer date and time?
Support

Post by Support »

fatalerror wrote:Hello in the help it says "The licensing system allows to get hardware identification number based on CPU, Ethernet cards and OS information." If the user re installs windows or upgrades their OS from XP to VISTA does the key change? I want to limit the customer to 2 activations and no more so two different computers and that's all. For example if a customers hard disk dies and they install a new one with a different OS do they need to be issued with a new key?
Reinstalling Windows may cause HWID to change. HWID doesn't support different computers. If you think that default HWID implementation doesn't suite your needs, you may implement your own using UserData field. It can contain up to 256 bytes of user data.
fatalerror wrote:One last thing when a license key is limited to Maximal date of product build. Does this build date get added by VMProtect when the file is packed so its on program authors current computer date and time?
VMProtect stores current date when it protects the file.