VMProtect .NET not renaming symbols

Issues related to VMProtect
camxxcore

VMProtect .NET not renaming symbols

Post by camxxcore »

My .NET application is protected with VMProtect .NET (latest version), but when I open the program with a common decompiler, the names of functions and variables are still as they were pre- protection. I read in a prior thread from 2020 that this was planned to be fixed, but I'm using the latest version (3.5) and the names are still visible.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: VMProtect .NET not renaming symbols

Post by Admin »

Do you use the "Strip Debug Information" option? It renames symbols for .NET applications.
camxxcore

Post by camxxcore »

Admin wrote:Do you use the "Strip Debug Information" option? It renames symbols for .NET applications.
Yes, I've always had this options enabled. Should I be compiling against a certain version of the .NET framework?

My project configuration is as follows:

camxxcore

Post by camxxcore »

Some more information...

If I open the EXE with a native decompiler like IDA, it appears most of the symbols are indeed obfuscated. However, it varies per each pass of VMProtect, sometimes certain symbols don't get renamed. It seems totally random. But yes if I use a standard .NET decompiler (Jetbrains Dot Peek or ILSpy) the names of all functions, classes and variables are still visible.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

What build of VMProtect do you use?
camxxcore

Post by camxxcore »

Admin wrote:What build of VMProtect do you use?
Ok I've realized my mistake, I was using an older build because of the issues I experience with 3.5. Basically in 3.5 VMProtect also obfuscates names of all WCF data contracts which causes the application to crash. Since WCF requires to know the method and type names at runtime. But it does appear to properly obfuscate all symbols. Its just that it breaks WCF. Would it be possible to get a version that handles WCF contracts so I can use the newer version? Even just an attribute that can be added to the types or class that tells VMProtect not to rename, would be very useful for this case. Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Since WCF requires to know the method and type names at runtime. But it does appear to properly obfuscate all symbols. Its just that it breaks WCF. Would it be possible to get a version that handles WCF contracts so I can use the newer version?
Could you send us a test example (original EXE+VMP files) that shows this problem? We need it for internal testing.
camxxcore

Post by camxxcore »

Admin wrote:
Since WCF requires to know the method and type names at runtime. But it does appear to properly obfuscate all symbols. Its just that it breaks WCF. Would it be possible to get a version that handles WCF contracts so I can use the newer version?
Could you send us a test example (original EXE+VMP files) that shows this problem? We need it for internal testing.
Sent to you in a direct message.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Please check PM.