linux program protected by vmp 3.1.2 crash directly in c5 series instance of AWS

Issues related to VMProtect
Admin
Site Admin

Re: linux program protected by vmp 3.1.2 crash directly in c5 series instance of AWS

Post by Admin »

It seems the problem at the server side (looks like a bug in CPU):
4003CC: got SIGSEGV signal (Segmentation violation)
Attachments
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_3.png (25.86 KiB) Viewed 9093 times
Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_4.png (38.05 KiB) Viewed 9094 times
Admin
Site Admin

Re: linux program protected by vmp 3.1.2 crash directly in c5 series instance of AWS

Post by Admin »

GDB also shows accessible memory region at 0x600ff8:
[centos@xxxx ~]$ gdb ./test_vmp
GNU gdb (GDB) Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.6.1-110.el7
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
Reading symbols from /home/centos/test_vmp...(no debugging symbols found)...done .
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/centos/./test_vmp

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00000000004003cc in ?? ()
Missing separate debuginfos, use: debuginfo-install glibc-2.17-222.el7.x86_64 li bgcc-4.8.5-28.el7_5.1.x86_64
(gdb) x/i 0x4003cc
=> 0x4003cc: mov 0x200c25(%rip),%rax # 0x600ff8
(gdb) x/g 0x600ff8
0x600ff8: 0
supermilg

Post by supermilg »

But, ./test can run without error.

[centos@ip-172-31-2-223 ~]$ ./test
This is a test.
Test done.

test and test_vmp are the same program. The only difference is that test_vmp is protected by VMProtect.
If this is the BUG of CPU, test should not run. This is obviously the BUG of VMProtect. VMProtect is not compatible with this CPU.
Please help solve it, Thank you!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Did you try test_vmp on other computers?
supermilg

Post by supermilg »

I tried a lot of machines, test_vmp can work properly, except for some machines.
Please login to the following server, test_vmp can run normally, you can compare and debug it.

ssh -i for_vmprotect.pem centos@34.245.219.91
/home/centos/test_vmp
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I tried a lot of machines, test_vmp can work properly, except for some machines.
Because AWS C5 has bug in its CPU. I have already shown it - "_init_proc" belongs to your original program (it isn't the VMProtect code). The bug appers in Skylake after changing memory attributes of the first segment.
supermilg

Post by supermilg »

Can you make a switch to avoid this problem, so that the program protected by VMProtect can be executed on C5 series machines?
Many customers are running programs on AWS, and AWS will definitely use more and more C5 series machines, This problem must be solved, Thank you!
supermilg

Post by supermilg »

Hi
This test is a very simple c code.

#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
printf("This is a test.\n");
printf("Test done.\n");
return 0;
}

and can be compiled by gcc. I don't even do anyother thing.
If even this program can not run on C5 series machines, I can not release my program protected by vmprotect to my customs.
Please do something to solve this problem. Thank you!
supermilg

Post by supermilg »

Hi,
I want to know if this problem is being solved. @Admin
supermilg

Post by supermilg »

Hi Admin,
I noticed that you said before, this is a CPU bug. If I want to solve it, I should actually look for Intel.
But you know, this is impossible. I am just a small service provider. But I need Vmprotect to provide software protection for me, and I paid for it.
I believe that Vmprotect is a professional company in the field of software protection. You must have a solution to this problem, even if it gives me a slightly less protective solution to bypass this bug, I can accept it.
But I have to run my program on an AWS C5 machine because I can't ask my big customers.
I hope that you can help me solve this problem, and I can only count on you. thank you very much.
If you are solving this problem, then I would be very willing to continue to supply that machine so that you can continue to use and solve this problem. This matter is very important to me. If you are solving this problem, I hope to give me a reply.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Try switch off the packing feature at the options tab in VMProtect.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We have fixed this issue in the 1059 build. Please check it.
supermilg

Post by supermilg »

Hi, Thank you! I will have a try